Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Put it in Writing!

So I demanded a NEW assessment to be done, New Psych testing, the whole shi-bang! And apparently since I put my request in writing, they "Magically" agreed all of a sudden. So the Psych evaluation was done...the Academic Testing was complete and FINALLY my IEP date was coming up!

    The day was here, and we all sat down and all I heard was How Smart my Son was, His Test Scores were off the charts! (I already knew this but let them say their piece). Now here is where I made my 1st mistake. I had no idea I could ask for the reports and test scores in advance, so that I had a chance to actually read them!  Not only had I not read it, but I wasn't even given a copy until AFTER the meeting.

  So The Psych skimmed through the 23 page report offering "Highlights" when He felt they were worth noting. Such as... "He tested in the average range" "his academic performance meets/exceeds that of his peers, based on his Standarized State test results"  They mentioned in passing that his Visual Processing Speed index was slow, But "That means it takes him longer to look at his work and be able to make sense of it and complete it"  "But it doesn't mean he can't do it, he just needs more time allowance" You get the idea right?

      So Based on his Test scores, He did not qualify for an IEP because his ADHD and Autism Spectrum Disorder was not "Adversely Affecting His Academic Performance". (that term is important...so remember it!)  And therefore he DID NOT QUALIFY for an IEP and that there was Nothing an IEP could offer him, that he wouldn't get from a "Beefed up 504 plan" 

    So after everyone finishes telling me how smart my son is on paper, they start to get into the Behavior issues. He will Not do his work at all...His teacher hadn't been able to get him to write 1 word ALL YEAR! (we were 3-4 weeks into the new school year already) Their remarks were, "We know he can do his work because we have test results that prove his intelligence" "He just needs to be more motivated" "His behavior is the main issue here" And then they proceeded to tell me how reward systems were no longer working, his teacher had modified his work SO MUCH, that she was only asking him to do 1 problem and would offer to reward him for it, STILL Not working!


     So Here I am, sitting in this meeting.....with all these professionals telling me that my son is NOT on the Autism Spectrum, That he seriously lacks motivation and has major behavior issues. Then they proceeded to tell me about their latest strategies to get my son "Motivated". The resource teacher told me that as my son sat and banged his fist on the table (in frustration) she sternly reminded him "Gabe, I know you can do this....I've seen you do it before, and you have 2 minutes. If your work is not done, then I will go call your mom and get her on the phone. What will she say when she hears you won't do your work?"And then she told me he had it done and turned in right after that.

   So I get the whole song and dance about how my Son "Does not meet the criteria to qualify for an IEP" and really does not need one. BUT if I insisted they could give him one based on his ADHD, but it would be a waste of time, because all he needed was a "Beefed up 504 plan"

   So While I hear about how Badly my Son is Behaving, and How they are implementing Scare Tactics which make Me the Bad Guy, My Stomach is in knots! What is WRONG With my kid? Why is he being SO BAD? This is NOT the Kid I know......So I pulled him out that day and said If he is being this bad...He will have to deal with me!

  So They basically Guilted/Conned me into signing that I agreed with their findings. And then made copies of everything for me to keep on file.......

       What they didn't anticipate, is that I would actually Read that Evaluation as soon as I got home.   Over and over and google words and test scores to see what they meant.

  I KNOW my son, who I gave birth to and raised....And he has never been defiant and rebellious, Nor has he ever been unmotivated.....So what is wrong with my Son?! I think I sobbed all the way home.....I was numb......What was going on with my little boy?
   


No comments:

Post a Comment