Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Sew Now I'm a Special Ed Law Expert?

Where to begin? I suppose we should do a past re-cap in a nutshell.

   When my Son was 4 and started in a Pre-K  program at a public school, It was almost immediately obvious that  he was different. He wouldn't play with other kids and instead did a "Shadow Play" ( he would sit next to and copy other kids, but not interact)
So of course, looking for answers, we had him tested. 
    
       When he was 4 he was diagnosed with PDD-NOS and we were told that  he had ADHD as well. After 1 full year of Pre-K and 1 Full Year of all day Kinder, he had to be retained. He still did not know the alphabet, and could only recognize about 6 letters. I fought to get him an IEP program, and it took the school almost 2 years to agree.  Anyway, He went to a resource class a few times a day...And he seemed to do OK with that.

    Well.....The school we transfered from when we moved, Had him with the same teacher for 2 consecutive years....and she just understood him! (We Love you Mrs. Hoffman!) So the School "Convinced" me that he didn't Need his IEP anymore, and that if I refused to agree it would be a Burden to them....And if I ever changed my mind, I could re-open it without question.....HA!

    Well unfortunately, the past 2 years have been hell for my poor son. He was constantly having his lunch time recess taken away for impulsive actions or even exaggerated physical movements and being unaware of his own personal space. :'o(

     Enough was Enough, and after 18 months of requesting an IEP  be reconsidered, again I was continually made to feel that my desire for an IEP was not warranted....that all he needed was a 504 plan, and I just didn't know what I was talking about............

     


No comments:

Post a Comment